Accessing the service for doctors and dentists
We are currently experiencing a significant increase in demand for this service. Please be aware that this means you may need to wait longer than usual for an assessment. We recognise how difficult things are at the moment and will do our very best to get to you as soon as we can. In the interim, please follow the following weblink here which will provide you with other avenues of support you can explore.
We are also working collaboratively with Staff mental health and wellbeing hubs which are confidential and free to access for all health and social care staff. You can find your local hub by using the postcode checker here or by following the following weblink here
If you are in crisis or feel unsafe or at risk to yourself or others, then you should contact 111/999, your own GP or attend your nearest Emergency Department/A&E as soon as possible.
NHS PH does provide a 24/7 crisis text service and you can access this by texting "NHSPH" to 85258.
The Samaritans:0161 236 8000 (local call charges apply) or 116 123 (free to call) can also provide confidential support and are open 24 hours a day.
Please complete both the registration forms and wellbeing questionnaires - it is essential that you complete both sets of forms to enable us to register you into the service and ensure you are provided with the support you need. If you have any difficulties accessing or completing the forms, or would prefer to speak to someone in the service please call us on 0300 0303 300. (Monday – Friday 8am-8pm, Sat 8-2pm)
Eligibility criteria to access:
- A doctor or dentist or GP or GP trainee living in England
- Currently registered with GMC /GDC or were had registration number until 12 months (eg suspended /retired doctors- eligible if they were on GMC/GDC record until a year before from the date of call)
- Is working or applying to work in England. (Living in Scotland/Wales but working with England and are on England performer's list)
The registration and wellbeing assessment forms are here
Following completion of your registration, you will either be called by one of our clinicians to discuss your referral or you will be invited to book in for an initial assessment with a lead clinician, which will last up to 60 minutes. We aim to contact you within 5 working days of registration.
In the interim period you may wish to consider contacting your GP for support and advice. We are also working collaboratively with staff mental health hubs across the country who can be accessed free of charge. These hubs are able to refer directly into Practitioner Health following their assessment if needed. Your local hub can be found here
The following exclusion criteria will apply:
- Those not on GMC or GDC register (unless within 1 year of removal)
- Where the patient / referrer primary need is for second opinion occupational health assessments or medico legal advice.
- Patients with complex chronic illness that requires the input of local NHS services e.g. patients with suicidal behaviour, psychosis, serious eating disorders, and patients with complex forensic histories*
- Patients with primary physical health issues
* In these instances PHP may provide an assessment and signposting service to ensure patients access appropriate NHS care