Health Education England
There are 13 regional boards which provide a variety of support for trainees +/- doctors of any grade working in the area (see below)
Professional Support Unit provides careers advice, coaching and mentoring, individual support team and communication skills assistance. Available to London trainee doctors & dentists only. Self-referral only, clinicians contact the service or fill in the online application form.
Contact: PSU@nwl.hee.nhs.uk or 0207 866 327
East of England
Professional Support Unit provides support to doctors & dentists in a training programme. This may include communications skills support, coaching, exam preparation, language support, independent occupational health service, psychiatric assessments and careers advice and support. They also host training workshops for both trainers and trainees. Access is via referral by Clinical/ Educational supervisor or TPD. PSU are happy to take calls if trainees have any concerns they want to discuss
Contact: Rebecca Winchester on email@example.com or 01223 596953
Professional Support Unit is available to doctors and dentists in training. It no longer accepts self-referrals. Referrals must come through Clinical/ Educational supervisor or TPD. Support will be given in areas of career advice and development, communication skills, occupational health services and coaching. They are hoping to pilot a support service in 2016/2017 that will be available to all doctors and dentists in any career stage, working in the area.
Contact: 0115 8233325 or HEEM.firstname.lastname@example.org
Kent, Surrey & Sussex
Have a number of initatives:
- Careers Support for foundation doctors and their trainers
- Trainee Support Service (available to doctors & dentists in training) via self-referral. Contact via website or email@example.com)
- A Peer trainee mentoring programme
North East and North Cumbria
Learner Support & Faculty Development team provides support to doctors & dentists in a training programme. This includes occupational health service, coaching, exam preparation and language support. They also host a wide variety of training workshops for both trainers and trainees. The local office also have a dedicated careers advice and support service. Access to all these services is via referral by TPD.
Further information is available on our website https://madeinheene.hee.nhs.uk/education2
Offer a careers guidance service to all trainees which can be accessed via their website
They also offer dentists in trouble support. To access this or further information on what sort of support, dentists must contact Deborah Colvin on Deborah.firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 625 7666
Offer a number of initiatives
- Careers support to trainees
- Professional Support Unit (referral via supervisor or TPD only) providing support to trainees in difficulty
- Trainees can self-referrer for counselling via Phoenix psychology. Contact via email@example.com or 0845 8380952
- Mentoring scheme for trainees
- All educational supervisors and clinical supervisors have to undertake a “doctor’s in difficulty” module once every 3 years
Yorkshire and the Humber
Offer a number of initiatives
- Coaching is available to all doctors working in this area (on a paid basis) via the website or email via firstname.lastname@example.org
- They offer funded counselling sessions to trainees via TakeTime which is done on a self-referral basis. Email: email@example.com
- They also have a counselling service in South Yorkshire called Workplace Wellbeing which offers funded sessions to any doctor or dentists working across South Yorkshire. Self-referral or 0114 226 1810
South West Peninsula
They have a Professional Support Unit which offers careers advice, occupational health services and additionally the following service
- They offer a mentoring service to all doctors working in the area
- They offer a life coaching service for all trainees. Other non-training doctors can also apply and they may be taken on at the discretion of the life coach. Email via Peninsula.TraineeSupport@southwest.hee.nhs.uk or 01752 676133)
- There is free independent short-term counselling service for all doctors in training within the South West Peninsula. This service is designed to offer independent support in addition to that provided by the NHS Trusts, PCTs and Clinical Tutors. Contact via 01823 271428 or 07918170528)
- Post CCT assistance to General Practitioners who have been recognised as requiring some targeted remediation. This may include undertaking educational assessments, developing a Personal Improvement Plan and delivering bespoke remediation.
They have a Trainee Support Unit which offers all trainees the opportunity to sit down with a member of the Trainee Support team in a confidential and supportive setting to discuss any challenges or concerns. From this, a plan of action is developed jointly and support resources agreed. Trainee Support can provide access to a range of support and development resources which can help to improve trainee well-being which can ultimately impact on the quality of patient care.
Contact: Self referral Severn.TraineeSupport@southwest.hee.nhs.uk
They have a Professional Support Unit that can be accessed by all doctors and dentists living or working in the area on a self-referral basis (if they are not a trainee they will have to subside the cost).
Contact: Psu@thamesvalley.hee.nhs.uk or 01865 785570
They have a careers advice website but this is currently under refurbishment
They also have a Professional Support Unit which provides support in the following areas to all trainees in the scheme
- Coaching/ mentoring
- Psychotherapy Support
- Dyslexia information
- Asperger’s information
- Self-awareness &Insight
- Occupational health issues
- Language skills and information
- Exam Support
- Cultural Expertise
- Advanced communication skills
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.