Health and Care Staff In England
NHS Practitioner Health is a mental health treatment service for healthcare staff. We exist to help those members of the workforce who, due to confidentiality reasons, cannot access care or treatment locally.
Self referral for:
- Doctors & Dentists in England and Isle of Man
- Doctors in Guernsey
- Doctors in Jersey
Other staff in England where there is a genuine reason why they cannot access care confidentially e.g. due to the seniority of their role, or the team they work in.
If you are eligible, complete our online form to register with the service.
Please complete the registration form and wellbeing questionnaire - it is essential that you complete both sets of forms to enable us to register you into the service and ensure you are provided with the support you need.
Registration forms are open from Monday at 8am to Saturday at 2pm.
If you have any difficulties accessing or completing the forms or would prefer to speak to someone in the service, please call us on 0300 0303 300. (Our phone lines are open Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 2pm). Please note we are not open on bank holidays.
Following completion of your registration, you will either be called by one of our clinicians to discuss your referral, invited to book an initial assessment with a lead clinician or be referred directly on to one of our therapy providers for assessment and treatment. We aim to contact you within 5 working days of registration.
Please be aware that our clinicians and therapists are unable to consult with patients who are abroad.
In the interim period, you may wish to consider contacting one of the many support offers available.
We are currently experiencing a significant increase in demand for this service.
Please be aware that this means you may need to wait longer than usual for an assessment. We recognise how difficult things are at the moment and will do our very best to get to you as soon as we can. In the interim, please visit this page which will provide you with other avenues of support you can explore.
We are also working collaboratively with Staff mental health and wellbeing hubs which are confidential and free to access for all health and social care staff. You can find your local hub by using the postcode checker or by visiting NHS England - Staff mental health and wellbeing hubs.
If you are in crisis or feel unsafe or at risk to yourself or others, then you should contact 111/999, your own GP or attend your nearest Emergency Department/A&E as soon as possible.
NHS PH does provide a 24/7 crisis text service and you can access this by texting "NHSPH" to 85258.
The Samaritans: 0161 236 8000 (local call charges apply) or 116 123 (free to call) can also provide confidential support and are open 24 hours a day.
- Any doctor or dentist living or working in England, Isle of Man & doctors in Guernsey and Jersey with regulator registration and a licence to practise.
- Any Medical/dental trainee in England, irrespective of their residence
- Doctors/Dentists working or applying to work in England. (Living in Scotland/Wales but working with England and are on England performer's list)
We are a confidential servce which understands the special needs of healthcare professionals with mental illness or addiction, how their role might impact their ability to receive confidential care; and how their condition might impact on their work and potentially their own patients. We work in the unique interface between health care practitioners as regulated professionals and as patients with a mental illness. As such we may also be able to offer some additional expertise where staff are undergoing an investigation or complaint and mental illness may have played a part in this or manifested as a result.
We are a self-referral service in the main but can accept supporting assessments from local services as long as the reason for accessing the service meets our criteria around confidentiality.
- Where the patient/referrer primary need is for second opinion, occupational health assessments or medico-legal advice
- Patients with complex chronic illness that requires the input of local NHS services e.g. acute psychosis, serious eating disorders, patients with complex forensic histories and those requiring crisis mental health services.
- Patients seeking assessment and treatment for ADHD and Autism Spectrum disorders.
- Patients seeking assessment and treatment of physical health issues
- Doctors/Dentists who are not registered nor seeking registration with the relevant regulator are not eligible.
- Patients who have retired and do not intend on returning to the clinical workforce with a licence to practise.
- Doctors/Dentists who are existing patients but who are then erased from the medical register and/or have retired or no longer hold a licence to practice will be discharged and transferred to other support services on completion of treatment or within 12 months, whichever is sooner.
- We do not usually accept referrals when the patients concerned are already receiving treatment from a secondary care provider however we will assess such registrations and consider if we may have an additional role. PH may provide signposting or liaison to ensure patients access appropriate care depending on their circumstances.
Functional Cookies are enabled by default at all times so that we can save your preferences for cookie settings and ensure site works and delivers best experience.
3rd Party Cookies
This website uses Google Analytics to collect anonymous information such as the number of visitors to the site, and the most popular pages.
Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website.